This guide will show you how to install a region free BIOS into a Sega Saturn console.
The process will be the same for all revisions except for VA0 which uses a direct replacement chip and will be covered separately.
- Desolder the original BIOS ()
- Bend out pins 1, 2, 43 and 44 of the replacement BIOS
- Solder in the new BIOS omitting pins 1, 2, 43 and 44
- Wire Pin 2 to ground (Pin 13)
- Solder pins 43 and 44 together and wire these to VCC (Pin 23)
The replacement BIOS is longer and wider than the footprint left by the original BIOS. Place the chip so pins 1 and 44 are left without pin solder pads. It might also be useful to bend all the pins inwards slightly so it better fits the width of the mainboard BIOS footprint.
More details and photos coming very soon.